Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Day 2

Skill + 1UP – 2KCBWDAY2

Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?.
---Skill + 1UP ---
Hello everybody and welcome to the 2nd day of the Annual K&C blog week 2011. Today I will look back over my projects of the past year and  discuss the skills I learnt while doing so.

The easiest way to do this would be to look back in the blog (link) (I love that I can pretty much just see into the past by going onto my blog and hitting a few buttons) And I see that I had few wee projects on the go, including 2 bunnies,  hat (which I can't remember the pattern for and was ultimately ripped) and the  ball of orange Cotton that was going to become an Amigurumi Fox but never really made it to the needles and eventually was forgotten about when I learned how to make a hat in the round. (but not that hat...... it was a differnt hat, made with Big softie and now doubles as an ipod stand cosy when my ipod's not there.

Things I learnt this year
  • How to knit in the round using DPNs
  • Stranded Fair-isle knitting (like the Hat I made a couple of weeks ago)
  • How to teach! (jenni, various people at GB)
  • Cables (the cricket jumper was my step into this skill but now that I'm confident in it, I'm looking for a more complcated sticth pattern)
  • Lace-work (simple lacework, but I do wanna learn more)
I think my biggest skill influence this year would be learning how to use DPNs. Theres nothing like being in GB and knitting (like I am forever doing) and have people looking at you, who know how to knit.... but not in the round. Most are like 'I can just about work 2 needles... 4 looks like you're trying to  knit with an octopus.
I learnt  how to do most of these techniques online. Especially the cables; which I didn't even know existed until I started knitting seriously, which was about 2-3 years ago. That was also when I was awoken to the amazing array of patterns, people and designers of Knitwear online. I'm extestensivly glad that I am quite good at working a computer and the internet to make it do what I want.

Even though my best skill I have learned this year was DPNs it is not my favouite skill.

---Lacework---
I first embarked on Lacework in Mid June of Last year. I made up my mind that it was way too hot to knit something that was made out of dense fibre like wool, so I took some cotton and got some  basics down and knit what most knitters would call a swatch. It was going well, As I was knitting the Lace-work seemed to be meeting up well to form the eyelet pattern that was descrbed to me onlne. (it's been that long that I actually cant remember  what site or even what pattern it was.
I love the way Lace seems to come together. It seems to flow gracefully from my needles and As this was a mostly 'yo' pattern dome on 5mm needles the pattern seemed to flow from my needles rather quickly. I eventually Cast off and went to get my phone
(to take a picture...... yeah I don't always have my phone beside me... so usually when I say 'I couldn't get to my phone intime' it accually means 'I couldn't hear my phone cus it was so far awy')
Anyway. I went to get my phone and Lady (who had been sunbathing when I left hopped up on the table and proceded to chew on my lacework. I came back and it was in 4 bits. I thank God I only used Acylic and that I took my baboo needles with me; or else thse would have suffered the same fate.

So I can do Lacework; It's my favouite new skill..... I just have no proof of it....

---Tomorrow---
I'm sorry I can't stay Longer; I have to go to Work (yeah; I'm working all week this week apart from Thursday... I'm thinking of my paycheck at the end of the month)

But tomorrow we have a new post to look forward to; and a new subject too. I won't spoil the surprise but still; see you all tomorrow :)
Luff from Aki X

No comments:

Post a Comment